livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] that came out of the ground

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: barb.ewing@comcast.net (Barb Ewing)
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] that came out of the ground
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 02:09:46 +0000

I had an agronomy prof in college that got really bent out of shape if you used the word dirt instead of soil. His definition of dirt was "misplaced soil".

Barb in NJ (soon to be NM)

Wish I could remember where I read this, but it was something to the effect that part of the problem with the English-speaking mindset was that the  word "dirt" had two meanings--the dirt in the ground in which we grow our food, and the undesirable dirt that needs to be removed. The article said we would have been better off if "earth" were more widely used.

  • Re: [Livingontheland] that came out of the ground, Barb Ewing, 12/27/2007