livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Home Sweet Farm

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Home Sweet Farm
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 10:05:18 -0700

Looking at their site it appears there's much to like. We've driven down
that Bluebonnet Trail and it's spectacular. We almost settled in that
country seven years ago. That said ... . CSA of course reaches primarily
those who can afford to pay in advance, and from reports of other CSAs it
appears some subscribers don't use all they get and some don't even pick up
on schedule after paying in advance. In our limited experience with the
farmers market for example, we find customers may want red onions one week
but only tomatoes and carrrots the next, and no squash or garlic at all, or
vice versa. And if they had to buy a "mystery box" of produce, most simply
would not. No grocery store could stay in business operating that way. So
my own bias about CSAs comes down to not wanting to ask customers to pay in
advance for things they may never want, or to share the risks of weather,
crop problems, or my own mistakes. We've never had an unhappy customer yet,
and we have no problem selling out all we grow. In my view, a farmers
market is every bit as much "community supported agriculture" as a CSA.
That's how Barb and I both feel about it. YMMV.