livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Home Sweet Farm

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Home Sweet Farm
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 16:32:18 -0700

You're basically claiming that all the typical features of a CSA are not
necessary to a CSA, yet everything I've seen researching CSAs online shows
these typical practices: advance payment, boxes with some items they're not
familiar with ("mystery boxes"), and perhaps some discount for volunteer
help. It's not a CSA without prepayment, whether all at the start or in
stages. Just paying for what they want when they get it is the farmers
market arrangement, not a CSA, no matter how you try to explain it. How
obvious can that get?

It can be cheaper than storebought organic, but not for customers don't
even use some of what they get or give it away. BTW my prices are also
cheaper than Whole Paycheck. And you may not rub elbows with the poor, but
generally they can't afford to pay for food until they need to eat it - not
one to five months in advance. And the majority of us who don't think of
ourselves as poor still live paycheck to paycheck (or retirement deposit).

I said grocery stores could't stay in business selling "mystery boxes" of
produce and neither could farmers markets. That's too obvious to argue, but
you manage to anyway.

My farmers market has all these elements of grower-customer relationship
that your CSA has. The point you seem to pass over is the most obvious:
only a tiny minority of shoppers can or will pay ahead of time for boxes of
uncertain produce, and only those with income above week to week living
expenses. That's no way to reach the mass of customers in this country. In
other words CSA is not scalable. The farmers market is. People are used to
paying for their food when they get it, and picking it out by looking at it
and touching. I'd be crazy to ask them to pay months in advance and without
even being sure what they're getting. I don't have a pool of wealthy
patrons who throw money around to feel good about supporting me.

How you market is your business. I won't do a CSA on principle.