livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] vermiculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ralph Thurston <thurstonessays@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] vermiculture
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 04:34:25 -0800 (PST)

I've hauled in "milorganite" from the local waste
treatment plant (it's low in heavy metals) but I was
wondering if worms would "improve" it before I
incorporated it into the soil. I don't have a warm
place to keep worms--one of the questions I would have
had--but I assumed there might be some lo-tech way to
keep them warm, as surely the compost itself would
generate some heat. I don't use cover crops, as I drip
irrigate and there is no surety that we would have
enough fall rain to bring up a cover crop, and I would
be left with seeds on the ground in the spring which
would be the equivalent of weeds (unwanted, in other
words). My ground is very clean and I do not want any
extra work.