livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] vermiculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: ernie yacub <ernieyacub@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] vermiculture
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 17:15:39 -0800

i have a dozen plastic bins in our furnace room right now turning ground up food waste into worm castings - i started with one a couple of years ago with worms from my outdoor compost pile, and every time i harvested the castings, which was every 3 - 4 months, there would be enough extra worms to start another bin.

our normal unground food waste goes into an outdoor plastic bin which also produces great compost - just takes longer.

today, i harvested 6 of the bins, reseeded them and had thousands of worms left over which i put in the garden under the leaf mulch - it's cold out there but i expect some of them to survive and make lots of little ones when it warms up.

i filled three 10 gallon pails with worm castings which i will use in the spring in my soil mix for the plants i grow in pots like tomatoes and peppers.

i've given lots of worms away to others to start their own bins.

it's really quite easy to do and very satisfying.

ernie on the north wet coast of turtle island where the weather has been very unpredictable and strange.