livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] vermiculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] vermiculture
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 23:25:49 -0500

At 03:26 PM 12/5/2007, you wrote:
Why vermicompost rather than any other kind of compost? In a snowy-winter climate, I'd be concerned about how to keep the worm boxes protected from the cold for several months. Do you have a barn or other building that stays warm enough to keep worms alive in the winter?

One of the reasons I'm interested in vermicomposting is precisely because of wanting to compost during the cold weather. I hope to get one of the plastic bin type composters. I'm going to have to figure out how to keep ants out of it (water-filled dish under each leg, or something like that).

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com