livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] CHRONIC ILLNESS COSTS THE ECONOMY MORE THAN $1 TRILLION A YEAR

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <boxwood@nelsoncable.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] CHRONIC ILLNESS COSTS THE ECONOMY MORE THAN $1 TRILLION A YEAR
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 12:30:03 -0400

Talk about a sick society ... It didn't used to be this way, folks. Why the
change that's destroying people? Diet and lifestyle has everything to do
with how we live on the land, or live in artificial environments eating
plastic food.

paul

But you're preaching to the choir here, Bro. To us that's the *bad* news. To those who track and shape policy, I'm afraid that a $1 trillion boost to the GDP (in terms of pharmaceuticals, high-tech medical interventions, etc.) is the *good* news.

I've heard Sally Fallon (president of Weston A. Price Foundation) make the observation that the enormous loss of jobs in the farming sector *has* to be made up for in other sectors, and it happens that that decrease is almost exactly balanced by an increase of employment in the medical, health-care, pharmaceutical and related industries.

An implication is that a sudden outbreak of perfect health would be a *disaster* for the enonomy.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used."
~Wendell Berry