livingontheland - [Livingontheland] generating hope

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Douglas Willhite" <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>, <realfood@wonderfulfarm.com>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] generating hope
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 11:19:05 -0700

Aliza,
I think Oprah would agree with you and certainly the authors of the best seller "The Secret" would too. But, the popular notion that we can manifest whatever we desire by picturing it in our minds and believing it to be true is a grave disservice to most people. While positive thinking can be a helpful motivator, it has a shadow side which is denial of reality -- denial of the limits to growth and the limits to vital resources which the global capitalist system is now pushing up hard against; also, denial of how many people are hurt, displaced or killed by this popular consumerist model.
In my opinion, for authentic hope to be generated emphasis must be on embracing reality in all its beauty and horror, and taking concrete actions toward real, demonstrable solutions at a local level (such as putting into practice the ideas about soil building, water conservation, community building, and sustainable technologies which have been so eloquently shared in this forum.)
After all, actions speak louder than words, or thoughts, or desires. I understand the comforting appeal in the idea that we can change the world and manifest whatever our hearts desire by believing that what we want is already true. But unfortunately some of the otherwise most intelligent people I know are stuck in ignorance and denial because of this belief. Manifesting their desires for abundance depends upon us maintaining a profit driven system which is racist, sexist, classist and plundering our only life support system, the natural world, our children and grandchildren's planetary home.
Doug

"There is more then just hope Harvey.  Our job is to see the world full of
all its gifts and with every moment and every movement choose the world we
want to have.  The more of us who see the world this way the more it will
manafest.  Just remember that everytime you choose to know the truth - that
we can and do influence everything and everyone moment to moment with every
breath and every thought - the more likely it is to become what we desire.
So make sure that the thoughts you think and the breath you breathe are
working toward what you most want to manefest."

Thanks so much for all you bring everywhere you go.

Aliza"