livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Question about compost...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Question about compost...
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 05:41:53 -0700 (PDT)

I have heard about cases in which a pest developped as a result
of adding too much compost; however, I can't confirm this from
personal experience.  I have never had any problems, even when
plants reseeded themselves into the compost heap.  And, as
Paul already pointed out, it depends very much on the quality
of your compost, i.e. on how well it is cured.

Personally, I think it doesn't make sense to feed the soil (in the
case of clay soils) with more than an inch or two of compost,
covered by another layer of mulch to protect the compost.  It
is better to feed the soil small doses regularly.  But I don't have
any experience with raised beds.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Mike or Cheryl Modjeski <paperrain@semo.net> wrote:

If I built a raised bed garden, and had an unlimited source of compost,
could I use pure compost instead of soil?

Cheryl in South Central Missouri

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!