livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Question about compost...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Question about compost...
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 05:47:02 -0500

I don't, but if the bed is just raised a little (say 8"), it's probably ok.  I think of the raised bed as a kind of container, and since my business is raising trees in containers, I have a bit of experience with that.  You want the mix to approximate really good soil, so it should have significant mineral content, not just organic matter.  Around Central Texas, we use Granite sand and Greensand, along with well-aged compost that has a large percentage of woody matter (to slow it down).

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz