livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] winter crops

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] winter crops
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 08:46:12 -0400

At 11:30 PM 8/30/2007, you wrote:

You spread out the plastic in the sun so it expands
somewhat before fastening it down, and when the weather cools it tightens
further.

That's a really useful tip. I'll remember that when I'm ready to start building again.

There are good commercial fastening systems for PVC hoophouses. There's a
recommended safe size for the PVC and recommended methods for holding them
to the ground in rough weather.

Mine didn't come out of the ground--it literally shredded to pieces. The base and the ground anchors stayed in place. But the first one was a commercial version made of lightweight plastic tubing, with a formed cover over it. The second one, that I built out of PVC intended for the purpose, stayed together, but the plastic cover ripped off. I'm going to rebuild the first one so I can continue to use the nicely made cover with its handy roll-up door, but use PVC for the framing. I already have all the fittings, just need to get some UV-resistant PVC and find some time.

I love the stuff in the Farmtek catalog, but right now it's out of my price range.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com