livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] hard science behind no-till

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Terry Wereb" <frostedacres@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] hard science behind no-till
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:07:16 -0400

I find the statement about OM content being the single, most important thing to know about the soil to be the heart of what  got me on the right path--- many years ago, knowing nothing about fertilizers, i just followed my grandmother's lead and turned anything I dug up back into the garden plot.  I spent all summer burying  vegetation in the garden-- and even in the winter, if there was a thaw, one could bet i was burying SOMETHING vegetative in the garden.
 Now my grandmother did not know about  No Till-- but she did  dislike the 'geen revolution' methods. She  told me more than once, we needed to  help Nature, not hurt it. She told me Nature could fix things given time and a little help-- I have moved even further along-- like Nature, I really do not want a monoculture in any bed or field. Currently, i may have to break soil in order to give roots a place to go-- but within 3 years, the patch I am gardening in right now will be a soft, rich surface that any seed will be glad to set up housekeeping in--And I  Doubt that now having an irrigation system will be an issue---

Terry W
Frosted Acres