livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food Security

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food Security
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:03:05 -0600

Maybe some opportunity for an entrepreneur will present itself in the way
of food security. Some might advise not putting all your eggs in one
basket, but you'll have to be the judge. But if you advertise your wish to
invest in something you may get all kinds of con artists coming out of the
woodwork. You might want to be in control of whatever you invest in.

When I feel discouraged in the garden I remind myself that most people like
to eat, and usually three times a day. Go for what people can't do without,
now OR in the future.

Just my thoughts on it.

On 6/26/2007 at 5:08 PM E. E. Mitchamore Jr wrote:

>The referenced article mentioned something that has been on my mind
>lately. Like many "boomers", our life savings is invested in the stock
>market, courtesy of 401k plans. That's increasingly uncomfortable. I'd
>like to move our pittance to something more tangible, focusing on food
>security. Since I've been working on personal self-sufficiency for over
>30 years, most of the obvious is covered (i.e. paid-for energy-efficient
>house and land, tools, rain water collection, reference books). I could
>use some fresh ideas for cash investment, especially regarding food
>production and preservation. How about seeds? is there a good source for
>properly preserved vegetable seeds, or is this a DIY? Seems like most of
>what needs to be done requires time and effort, rather than cash.
>
>E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
>www.hillcountrynatives.biz

snip