livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food Security

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food Security
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:06:06 -0500

Here's another story about the 'future'.

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/Archives2007/KunstlerDirectAnxiety.html

I'm with the Survival Acres guy. If for no other reason than by comparing the stock market, the Depression, and the difference in concentrated farming/food dependence of now and 1929. Back then, people had some chance of finding a farm with stored food, fields of cabbage, a few extra potatoes, and a lot of small homes with a family cow providing wholesome milk from grass, and chickens.
Today, there is only the System, and the few of us out on the Fringe who know how to grow our own food, but there aren't nearly as many of us as there are going to be desperate people doing desperate things. The local gas station owner (from India, who stops in to pick up chicken feed occasionally) said that he is seeing as many cars travelling on weekends as he normally would see on the 4th of July. Not as many mobile houses, though, but more cars. Where are all these people going, and what are they accomplishing when they get there?

Oh yeah, we need to grow more corn to feed THEIR habits......  :-P  ...

Dan
Belgium,WI