livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Food Security

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "DK" <homeschool@iontreasures.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Food Security
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:40:05 -0400

Re: "It is so hard to grow your own food".

I think "hard" is a relative term, and the level of difficulty is being compared to a cushy 21st century lifestyle. Yes, it is hard to grow food when you are not accustomed to using the muscles of your human body, sitting in air-conditioning and having premade food out of a box. It's hard even if you already work hard. It is physically "hard" to the muscles, but the good feelings that come from it, both the exercise and the experience in nature make the "hard" aspect practically not worth talking about. And I do think it can become sort of self-fulfilling. If you think it's hard, it will be hard.

Re: So Alarmist

Again, a relative term. There are some people whose very biochemical and neurological makeup gives them an adaptive behavior pattern of thinking on deeper levels than others, who see bigger pictures, who are more sensitive to small changes. These people act as sentinels for other members of the species. In all species that have been researched this way, 2 survival strategies exist. One is to rush in, go for the food/mates/water, etc. The other is wait a little bit, process all incoming sensory information before moving. Both have their benefits and drawbacks. One is not "better" than the other, but in humans the "rush in" represent about 80% of population, the process deeply then decide represents about 20%. In a world where the dominant cultures are all about conquering first and asking questions later (could that be a "rush in before someone else gets it"? approach), perhaps we should start listening to what the sentinels have to say, for a change. Both types are needed for species survival.

http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm

Diane in FL