livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Not about food miles

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Laurie Ann Powell <laurie@powellclan.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Not about food miles
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 13:37:56 -0500

I agree with you, Paul, this contained some serious nonsense.

I note that this kind of article seems to be aimed at paralyzing us into helplessness - each time we are touched to consider action by exposure to a new concept, another article comes out to make us feel dumb if we actually try to change anything. We're being herded into a corner where we'll let the "experts" run everything.

Understanding "food miles" can be the first snip of the thread that helps us unravel the whole web of irresponsible consumerism.

For that reason, I try not to dismiss any small gesture toward making a change.  I think it's better to boycott Walmart- as hopeless as that may seem - or to "count food miles" or grow even one tomato plant rather than to wait until I have mastered the whole global ecology before acting. Baby steps with course correction along the way.

Laurie Ann