livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Not about food miles

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Not about food miles
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 20:34:51 -0600

We're all learning. Those "course corrections" are a sign we're at least
doing something and learning from mistakes. You hit on my pet peeve - TV
and magazine experts who intentionally make more self reliant living look
too hard or too expensive for us ordinary Joes. Take cooking shows for
example, the Food Network. Who in their right mind would try to imitate
them and make a fool of themselves? Who could afford it? Why would they?
The gardening shows depict people with boundless trust funds landscaping
for TV interviews, or the obsessive square foot gardening made so
complicated you have to waste a lot of time just figuring it out. They
rarely help with food growing of any kind. One exception is BYUTV (Brigham
Young U) with some down to earth commentaries on vegetables (they preach
stocking up for hard times), and Sara whats-her-name promoting organics.

Those guys don't have to eat or sell what they show on TV. We do.