livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] what works

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] what works
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 06:32:57 -0600

Yes, you've been cautious, and in my view there isn't any one way out of
The Mess. Given how soft and spoiled our culture has become, there may be
no way out of it for much of the population. Sooner or later things will
just get very messy.

What we already see in our society is a lot of doubling up in one house or
apartment, esp single mothers with their mothers, children and all. In
poorer families it's often unavoidable. It's also common in all classes for
relatives to live with immediate family if circumstances are pressing. And
I'd expect a lot more of this when things get a lot more pressing! And
true, it's also common for unrelated singles to live together in whatever
arrangements, to share rent if nothing else. We're not all Yuppies ...

On Heinberg's hyperbole - I doubt we'll have 50 million farmers. We don't
have 50 million people who know how, or who have the resources and
determination to grow food commercially. Or 50 million willing to get their
hands dirty. But the new farmers will have to be small farmers using little
fossil fuel and selling locally for the most part. I can forsee many big
farms being parceled out as small plot rentals or sales.

It's likely the living arrangements will be whatever works at the time, but
the growing arrangements will need to be as productive and sustainable as
humanly possible. Tractor row farming with chemicals is too expensive for
startups. When it takes half a million dollars to get into conventional
farming today, it ain't gonna happen. Not that way. But we know that
startups can begin on a shoestring and feed dozens of customers on very
little land. We know growers can feed themselves and several others without
powered machinery at lower cost. We know that wide row or raised bed
growing can make far more efficient use of available space, when everybody
needs to grow what they can in any space they have, and no-till cuts labor
and expense. But there is a learning curve, so we better get moving. And
there's that four-letter word - "w-o-r-k".