livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Wool as Mulch

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TamesonOB" <tamesonob@metrocast.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Wool as Mulch
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 06:41:43 -0400

From: Gloria Baikauskas <gcb49@flash.net>
I am wondering if using wool might help in this case. Those with hair or wool sheep/goats often use excess wool as a mulch quite successfully. Might that not give the extra insulation layer for this idea?

I am inclined to say no. The thing about wool is that it's an insulator, which means it insulates from both the heat and the cold. So if you were to use it on the soil, the soil would take longer to warm up, and would not benefit from the daily sun. The main reason to use wool as mulch is what else are you going to do with the skirtings? Plus the poopy parts are great for the plants and it felts down into a nearly impenetrable mat which weeds have a hard time growing through.

Tameson