livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] what works

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Bobby G <bobbyg53211@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] what works
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 22:47:27 -0700 (PDT)

hopefully i've been cautious enough in my comments
here that nobody things i'm touting my ideas as if i
were Jim Kramer touting some stock on the Mad Money
show...

when i say i "suspect" or "have a hunch" that the
co-operative way "may have a part to play" in our
muddling through the post-oil production peak period
(which will be a long period, i suspect), that means
i'm trying not to be categorical and claim there's One
Way out of the Mess.

i doubt there's any of us here who've lived through a
previous global peak of petroleum production, since
there's only going to be one of those, so i doubt
there's anyone who can tell us categorically what's
going to "work" or what "won't work."

if, as Rich Heinberg says, we're going to need some 50
million farmers when our "Special Period" comes, then
i *suspect* again that there are going to be a number
of different models, methods, schemes, organizations,
etc. for these 50 million farmers to git 'er done as
far as feeding themselves and all of us.

in the midst of a collapsing civilization, i sincerely
doubt that people are going to be spontaneously
putting back together the broken American extended
family-farm with all five generations living under one
roof happily growing to meet all our needs. it's
likely to be more chaotic than that scenario.

what if, like, single people no kids, or gosh, gay
couples, or a single mom, wants to go into small
agriculture? will state constitutions be amended
Focus on Family-style to prohibit such abominations?
really, i don't see the Focus on the Family folks
stepping forward into the leadership on this
post-petroleum living thing any time soon...

if you've found some way that works for you as living
on the land, that's great. but it may not be the One
Way for all of us... i have a few ideas, which may or
may not work, can't say for sure...

peas,

bobby g

Finding fabulous fares is fun.
Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and
hotel bargains.