livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] what works

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Bobby G <bobbyg53211@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] what works
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 21:21:22 -0700 (PDT)

(eplies interspersed with original message)

Message: 7
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 22:53:34 -0600
From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
Subject: [Livingontheland] What works/ the hippies
were left

> What does work, and always has, is natural families
and individuals living on their own property or space
in close proximity to others and cooperating on a
voluntary basis to meet their needs.

-- right, that last phrase is the first and second
principle of the co-op movement. open, voluntary
membership, to further members' economic interests.

> It's called a village or tribe. Societies have been
organized this way for eons.

--yet now those eons are suddenly undone; and why has
the much-touted "global economy" destroyed these
arrangements? capitalism cannot tolerate any part of
tribalism. and capitalism brings us peak oil; that's
in its nature, its inability to plan for seven years,
let alone seven generations.

> It's not a choice between modern society's
alienation and communal living. Neither is viable.
People can group together in close proximity without
making it a communal arrangement, and can cooperate
and have
specialization of labor. That will be needed far more
in the future.

--all i'm suggesting, Paul, is that i suspect, i have
this hunch, that co-operation (in the formal
organizational sense) will play a role in our muddling
through the peak oil thing. and the global climate
thing tossed in on top of that.

--the family farm arrangement seems to be in constant
peril. why is that? there is something about it that
the power elite, the power structure, which includes
the USDA and the rest of the feeding-us system, that
can't tolerate the family farm.

--single people are now the largest category of
households. there must be some way for them too to
muddle through the peak oil thing. they're not going
to become family farmers and suddenly reverse a
hundred years of demographic mash-up.

all i'm sayin'

bobby g

a little couch potato?