livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] What works/ the hippies were left

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: mtncats@myway.com, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What works/ the hippies were left
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 22:24:14 -0600

Again, the exception proves the rule. One or a handful of exceptions out of
300 million people in this country hardly counts as "many examples". I
don't count religious orders existing here or abroad living communally as
they receive financial backing and direction from their religious
hierarchies, and are not true self-organizing communes. And the kibbutz
movement pretty much withered away, being "commune-ist" (from Russia) and
unworkable in the long term. This is what eventually happens to grandiose
schemes and ideologies for remaking human nature according to someone's
ideals. I accept human nature as it is and advocate small, cooperating
communities and villages close to the land, as they have worked more or
less sustainably for most of human history.

On 5/11/2007 at 3:39 PM mtncats wrote:

>Actually Paul, there are many examples of "unrelated people working
>together to provide for their needs on common property and sharing in the
>proceeds". One down the road here is Twin Oaks, founded in 1967:
>http://www.twinoaks.org/
>
>It's patterned after Israeli kibbutzim
>http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/MFAArchive/2000_2009/2002/11/Focus%20on%20Israel-
%20Kibbutz , although Twin Oakers prefer "intentional community".