livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Question About Chickens

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Question About Chickens
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:03:20 -0400

Our plan is to let the chickens free range within the fenced garden. My
question is will I have problems with the chickens eating my leafy greens?

Gail

Ken is right: Giving chickens free range inside your fenced garden will be a disaster for *all* your vegetable crops, not just the green leafy ones. Some crops the chickens wouldn't eat, but chickens are constantly scratching, and they will destroy any crop plant you are raising.

There are a couple of domestic fowl that are compatible with a garden. Geese have been used as weeders for certain crops, and guineas are excellent for insect control. Emphasis on "for certain crops"--there are crops either species wouldn't work well with.

I use guineas to control squash bug in my winter squash patch. Works great.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern VA
www.themodernhomestead.us

"Just a single fill of ethanol for a four-wheel drive SUV uses
enough grain to feed one person for an entire year." ~Lester Brown