livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] three sisters planting and potatoes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] three sisters planting and potatoes
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:33:01 -0400

It is very difficult to store white potatoes in SC. Instead, I
am trying to grow them over a longer season. I'll let you know if anything
works!

Dianne

Diane,

I've had good luck growing potatoes as a second crop here in northern VA (Zone 6b). I plant my spring potatoes around now (folks in these parts aim for Mar 17, St Pat's Day), and set aside the remainder of my seed potatoes to plant in early July. I find that the second planting tends not to have the same challenges from Colorado potato beetle as the earlier planting. Because the summer is drier, the yield of the second crop is usually not as good, but the quality is fine (and the quantity is enough to be worth the effort). My only major disappointment has to do with Caribe, one of my favorite varieties, from which I've always had zero sprouting in the summer planting. That's after three tries. I no longer plant it in the summer planting.

I've also grown an early crop of potatoes in the late winter, early spring greenhouse, using stored pot's from the basement as seed. Spuds usually rather small, but great for boiling potatoes much earlier than we'd get them from the garden.

~Harvey
--
Harvey in northern VA
www.themodernhomestead.us

"Just a single fill of ethanol for a four-wheel drive SUV uses
enough grain to feed one person for an entire year." ~Lester Brown