livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] three sisters planting and potatoes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] three sisters planting and potatoes
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:41:55 -0700

Three Sisters: An Ancient Garden Trio
http://www.ecoliteracy.org/publications/3sisters.html
Notice the squash on the top right is Lakota, a sweet, nutty flavored
heirloom. We grow it and it IS good. We caught friends using it for a table
centerpiece instead of eating it.

NativeTech: Native American Technology and Art
Planting a Three Sisters Garden...
http://www.nativetech.org/cornhusk/threesisters.html
The Three Sisters all work together. Critters will find it harder to
invade your garden by interplanting your corn, beans and squash. The corn
stalk serves as a pole for the beans, the beans help to add the nitrogen to
the soil that the corn needs, and the squash provides a ground cover of
shade that helps the soil retain moisture.