livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Yield vs output/ was nutrition

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: mtncats@myway.com, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Yield vs output/ was nutrition
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:54:53 -0700

But Tom, I'm not putting chips in the soil, I'm using them for mulch. Also
I compost in the beds, not in the aisles where it'll have to be moved. Any
weeds will end up as mulch on the beds. The framing is cull lumber sold
cheap, untreated pine. We're a dry climate so it'll last a few years, maybe
longer than I will. BTW I thought about using soil cement for sides but
it's just too time consuming for this year since relocating and starting
over. Soil cement is one part Portland, ten parts dirt (no organic
detritus), and it sets white and feels hard like concrete.

By composting in place I depart from the standard Rodale formulas. Just to
start the soil first year (no-till after this), I dig one shovel deep and
then build it up higher with a mix of soil, aged manure, some bone meal,
and a bit of greensand and alfalfa meal. This is just my own way to jump
start soil building so I don't have to wait three years for highly
productive soil by lasagna methods. My belief is that the decomposing
organic matter needs to be in contact with the soil and minerals as it gets
acted on by the microbes and natural processes. It doesn't heat up like the
Indore Method or Rodale method, but then to my thinking it doesn't need to
because it doesn't in Nature.

YMMV.