livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] woodsplitters

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Bobby G <bobbyg53211@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] woodsplitters
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 09:35:15 -0800 (PST)

Hello All - Has anyone thought of using a stove with a
big enough opening that the wood does NOT need to be
split? Our main stove fits a log 18" diameter and up
to 24" long. I only use a chain saw and when
absolutely necessary, the old fashion wedge and hammer
for those really big logs. I have never used a
mechanical type splitter.

Regards,
Tony Marzolino

--ayuh. my woodsplitting technology consists of these
things called "wood grenades" which are four-sided
wedges. plus a sledge. and an 8 or 12 lb. maul. but
i'm only working on big rounds of oak, or else smaller
maple tops right now. maybe if i had nothing but
tough gnarly wood like elm or something, i'd change my
tune.

plus, i haven't been able to cost-justify to my
satisfaction the $1000+ for the gas powered wood
splitters, nor the high maintenance costs for those
things.

bobby g