livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] woodsplitters

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@dotnet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] woodsplitters
  • Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 11:14:35 -0600

I use the newer 'grenade' style wedge and a sledge hammer, along with a couple of the old style flat wedges.
Less dangerous than swinging the axe, and you can choose the sledge hammer size you like. A few minutes a day to keep up if I have logs to split, and it helps with the exercise problem....;-)
I also use a splitting maul, switching back and forth at times. Much better than a regular axe, but takes some muscle and technique learning.
I also cut slits in the really big rounds with a chain saw to make it easier to start wedges.

There's always dynamite.......;-) And moving to Costa Rica....Just say "The Heck with the wood, I'm splitting!"

Dan
Belgium,WI

Has anyone used the non-electric wood splitters?

I found hydraulic splitters and a hammer action that
looks rather like a fence post pounder that I use and
like. I certainly used an ax when I was young but I
am old and fat now, with a bad tendency to lose my
grip at unexpected moments. I haven't trusted myself
with an ax for a while.
http://tinyurl.com/2dnhvz
http://tinyurl.com/29d9u9
http://tinyurl.com/2c5fu8