livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Woodsplitters

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@dotnet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Woodsplitters
  • Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 11:24:08 -0600

From: Tony Marzolino <tmarzolino@yahoo.com>

Hello All - Has anyone thought of using a stove with a big enough opening that the wood
does NOT need to be split? Our main stove fits a log 18" diameter and up to
24" long. I only use a chain saw and when absolutely necessary, the old fashion
wedge and hammer for those really big logs. I have never used a mechanical type
splitter.
Regards,
Tony Marzolino
Yup, I've got a stove that takes 18 or 20" diameter and 36" long, but it is a darn good way to hurt your back trying to get those lifted and slid in the thing. Better to split them to manageable sizes to prevent injury, if for no other reason.
It is also better to split for drying purposes, especially for burning inside a house with an older chimney, to reduce creosote buildup. I have an outdoor burner, but I have learned how inefficient it really is. It needs a catalyst system or something, both for efficiency and to reduce pollution.

Dan
Belgium,WI