livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Local: The Route to Survival for FamilyFarmers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gloria Baikauskas <gcb49@flash.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Local: The Route to Survival for FamilyFarmers
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 01:59:16 -0800 (PST)

I believe only Pennsylvania allows sale of raw milk.  There have been cases on the news in Michigan and Ohio of late where farmers records, milk, and even property have been seized for the illegal sale of raw milk.

Raw milk is healthier.  Back when we didn't have refrigeration it was often a problem when delivered in the cities.  That is why Pasteur was such a godsend when he invented pasteurization.    With refrigeration there is little to be alarmed about re bacteria and salmonella, etc.  But the big dairy corporations don't want the competition from local farmers.  So....they make issues of it with local law enforcement.

Many folks with milk allergies find they do not have them when drinking raw milk.

This is usually done by creating CSAs where people buy shares in what is produced.  Still it has been legally challenged because the dairy corporations are pushing it.  Another one of those American freedoms tromped on with aplomb.

Gloria, Texas