livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Weeds as Indicators Of Soil Conditions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Weeds as Indicators Of Soil Conditions
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:06:49 -0700

I'll look into that. I don't even have anything handy on our own area, high
desert NM. Barb is the "don't you dare pull that weed" voice around here
and an accomplished researcher ;-) -- so I'm studying up on methods of
discouraging weeds in intensive no-till plantings. With rich soil and drip
I better do more than mulch ... In May I made up a deep, curving rose bed
from the dirt road embankment. Never got roses put in but with monsoon got
the biggest crop of weeds around, absolutely huge.

paul, tradingpost@lobo.net

The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all
our most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to
foster its renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry