livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Weeds as Indicators Of Soil Conditions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: three feathers <threecrowfeathers@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Weeds as Indicators Of Soil Conditions
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 05:37:40 -0800 (PST)

I have a "real life" example of what this article mentioned and i hadn't thought about it until reading it----this summer, i had plans to pick the weeds out from around my plants/veggies, so they wouldn't be crowded out of water, space, etc.......but then it got so sweltering hot, i didn't finish my job---i just got lazy to be honest...that a/c felt just too nice

However, the plants that i didn't "de-weed" fared much better through the summer, whereas the plants i de-weeded didn't do so well......after reading that article, i' can't help but think that the weeds left around plants were responsible for keeping moisture in the soil....it wasn't my green thumb at all  :-)

Guess that article serves as a reminder that we are all connected ---all Life on this planet is, for the  most part, interdependent upon each other for survival, in one way or another, whether we can see it or not......

I appreciate this article because it gives us an better understanding of a weed's role in the Circle of Life

a Marvelous Monday--
threefeathers