livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Extending the season success

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Robert Monie <bobm20001@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Extending the season success
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 10:27:53 -0800 (PST)

I've heard stories of Chinese villages surviving on Nappa Cabbages that were especially winter hardy (in fact almost the only plant that grew that season.)

Bob Monie

TradingPostPaul <tradingpost@riseup.net> wrote:

You know snow is an insulator, hmm? I'm surprised about cabbage though,
what variety was that? Don't some handle cold better than others? Speaking
of walking onions, we checked back at our old place and found most of them
were rotting at the roots from getting waterlogged in summer monsoon. It
was a heavily manured sunken bed - know not to do that here ...

I read somewhere that in WW II the retreating Russian army survived the
winter by digging up rutabagas in peoples' gardens when the Germans were
doing the scorched earth thing on their march to Stalingrad.