livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Extending the season success

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Laurie Ann Powell <laurie@powellclan.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Extending the season success
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:12:52 -0600

Just wanted to share that yesterday I went out and dug through 6 inches of snow and  a sheet of ice, pulled back some polypropylene sheeting and got a wonderful cabbage for our dinner!

I'd gotten so accustomed to ignoring threats of precipitation for Oklahoma, that I did no preparation for the mini-blizzard we ended up having.  However, the bit of protection I had done against the cold seems to have saved the cabbage, at least. I haven't checked on my walking onions, but I imagine they will be fine in their bed of straw, as well.

Laurie Ann