livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The "wetpot" gravity driven water system -- new version of "olla" watering

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Robert Monie <bobm20001@yahoo.com>
  • To: Steve Diver <steved@ipa.net>, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The "wetpot" gravity driven water system -- new version of "olla" watering
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 06:42:41 -0800 (PST)

Hi Steve and Everybody,

An Australian company has developed an updated version of the olla (meaning "pot") system of watering used by indigenous peoples, especially in drylands throughout the world, to conserve water. This system uses gravity to send water directly to the plant roots; the water diffuses through clay pots buried in the ground. Since this system greatly reduces loss of water by evaporation, it is probably one of the most water-sparing available, even more than drip irrigation and soaker hoses. It is also, to my eyes at least, very attractively designed.

I have seen a few of these Australian "wetpots" in the US around the Orinda/Berkeley Cal. area (no idea of how they were imported).

For more information see http://wateringsystems.net/

Bob Monie
New Orleans

Steve Diver <steved@ip wrote:

An unknown technical detail is "how many" feet of soaker
hose can you run from a gravity-fed barrel system. The
lady said a couple/few hundred feet should work OK as long
as you maintain pressure.  (But readers who want to install
a gravity-fed system should verify maximum length of drip
As far as I know, Chapin Living Waters and Irrigro.com
are the only two drip irrigation systems that work with
gravity-fed buckets and barrels. Hopefully other readers
will chime in with complementary sources if they exist.

Steve Diver