livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Drought preparation->gravity-fed irrigation

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Steve Diver <steved@ipa.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Drought preparation->gravity-fed irrigation
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:42:55 -0500 (EST)

Thanks, David Inglis.

Yes that is the second company.

International Irrigation Systems, Inc
http://www.irrigro.com

They have changed their web page since Spring 2006
when they were first brought to my attention.

The web page no longer features an article about
"gravity-fed irrigation", but it does mention that their
soaker-hose type drip lines work on a low pressure
of 5 psi.

To verify I just called and talked to their office.

Yes, they said their drip lines work with gravity-fed
systems as long as you elevate the bucket or barrel
about five feet above ground.

In fact, they provide a pressure regulator with their drip
irrigation kits because most water faucets run too high
(~ 40-60 psi).

An unknown technical detail is "how many" feet of soaker
hose can you run from a gravity-fed barrel system. The
lady said a couple/few hundred feet should work OK as long
as you maintain pressure.  (But readers who want to install
a gravity-fed system should verify maximum length of drip
lines based on height and volume of water).

As far as I know, Chapin Living Waters and Irrigro.com
are the only two drip irrigation systems that work with
gravity-fed buckets and barrels. Hopefully other readers
will chime in with complementary sources if they exist.

Steve Diver