livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cultivating Our Garden, by John Jeavons

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Jeanne Driese" <jeanne13@earthlink.net>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr <emitch@att.net>, Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cultivating Our Garden, by John Jeavons
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:59:18 -0500

John Jeavons book "How to Grow More Vegetables" sub title than you ever thought possible on less land than you can imagine  has all the info you could ever want!!!  That book is used by me to teach organic gardening classes.  Being in my early 70's I am not into the double digging he advocates but he only does it once.  His information is very precise and at time a bit hard to get through. He even says don't read all the info at once! It has a wonderful chapter on soil structure.  Get the latest edition as it is an ongoing experiment and he updates every few years. He uses lots of quotes and my favorite is,  "They're making people every day, but they ain't makin' any more dirt"    Will Rogers
Hope this helps.