livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Grab your hip boots, it's getting deep

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Grab your hip boots, it's getting deep
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:39:29 -0700

In general, the MG programs sound good. But I have big problems with some of the details:

At 8:30 AM -0600 10/28/06, TradingPostPaul wrote:
13. Given the proper training, could you comfortably recommend the use of
both natural and synthetic fertilizers and pest control products to
the public? If NO, please explain. (According to NMSU policy,
Master Gardener volunteers are required to advise on the use of all types
of pesticides and fertilizers; at the same time, the Bernalillo
County Extension Horticulture Agent is strongly promoting
Integrated Pest Management, which emphasizes cultural controls, least-toxic
materials, and highly-toxic materials only as a last resort.)

I think it's irresponsible to *require* someone with 52 hours total training to recommend pesticides and fertilizers. This antiecological policy presumes that organic gardening doesn't really work or is too much trouble for most people, and also assumes that using pesticides has no downside.

Trained individuals may
identify themselves as an Extension Master Gardener only when doing unpaid
public service work in a New Mexico State University approved program.

I see this policy violated all the time. Maybe it's not the policy in every state, but I've seen people here with "Master Gardener" on biz cards saying that it persuades people to hire them for paid landscaping jobs. Also, many MGs identify themselves as "Master Gardener Jane Doe" for every single outdoors-related thing they're involved in, most of which are not official Extension business.

> Callers
requesting alternative information (i.e. organic methods) should be given
the type of information requested, with any appropriate caveats if this
information is not research based. Callers should be guided toward
understanding preventative measures, as well as treatment options.

Organic methods are "alternative information"?!

(On the other hand, I have heard that some MG programs are more open to including the research on and promoting organic methods. Maybe Oregon and Washington? I know King County has been trying to discourage pesticide use for years.)