livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Pastoral ideas and the evil corporation

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Pastoral ideas and the evil corporation
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:11:35 -0700 (PDT)

Pego,

You mention something that is perhaps mis-written or mis-interpretable as regards to ETHICS;  can a corporation truly have ethics?  This is where mass marketing is really targeting youth today via public education and media and we must be certain that people understand a corporation's only guideline is profit.

The government is also an entity incapable of feeling or ethics, isn't it?  I was stunned to hear a young teen say that " well, that can't be so, the government cares about us."

What's happening in the cooperative food world today ought to alarm even the 77 yr olds who thought the whole corporation thing was good.  IT's led to holding companies who own the decision making abilities that only care about the bottom dollar. For example, if peas are not profitable to grow, it will not matter that we the humans like to eat them or need the nutrition from them.  The direction that corporate ownership is taking the food supply is hideous.  Ozark cooperative is filing bankruptcy and how are the other food cooperatives going to survive if all the food is owned by holding companies?

I've got 4 different varieties of garlic planted, but rain today means that a set of handspun handwoven placemats out of Claudia's Navajo-Churro wool are almost done.  My friends and I have started trying to vote with our dollars by sourcing more food directly and producing as much of our own as possible.  I just spent some time with another mom who commented that my refridgerator and my friend's fridge both contain much different things than hers.  She was saying that it really struck her that we had raw ingrediants, raw milk, whole foods, and she didn't know how we had done that.  Health and being the MOM in charge <G> means we made and make Choices.

Carrie