livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] what we're doing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Claudia & Linda" <dragonhill2@netzero.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] what we're doing
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:33:15 -0500

If/when easy food is no longer available and my blahburb neighbors start
looking up here at the sheep, goats, calves and garden as a source of food,
I'm sure there will be three sorts of folks. 1) Those who want to buy food
from us--fine if we have a surplus and they have something of use to us, but
most of our surplus is marked for friends and family 2) Those who want to
learn how to grow their own food too--and we will happily help them get a
start and share what we know. 3) Those who figure they have the right to
take what we have. For them, we currently have regular Sunday afternoon
target practice sessions in which we lay out our fairly extensive arsenal
and shred cardboard for mulch in the garden just so they'll know for future
reference: yes, there's food here but the price is high.

Our sustainability certainly isn't as high as it could be, but I think we'll
adapt better than 90% of our neighbors. Maybe mostly because we won't just
be sitting around in shock, unable to believe that our world could actually
grind to a halt.

Claudia