livingontheland - [Livingontheland] what we're doing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] what we're doing
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:31:48 -0600

Just a personal note - folks, I hope we continue to avoid the shrill rants
and guilt trips about sustainability that I see on some other lists, from
certain persons. It seems a bit silly to see some of those people
criticize others' energy usage when they haven't done all they can where
they live. We just share information here and hope its useful in our
efforts. As list owner my own bias is toward more personal freedom and
responsibility - not some misguided ecofascism. We learn and grow and see
what we can do with what we learn. We all have different gifts and needs.
Personally I have little doubt Peak Oil is fact, but so is peak water, peak
gas, looming economic depression, and climate change. And I stress, for
millions of people around this country, all these threats are nothing new.
For many, things could hardly get worse. It's these people who most of all
need to be producing more of their own food, somehow, somewhere. They're
often out of sight, living on the fringes, in the hills, the inner cities,
the reservations, the mountains, or right next door. Those of us who've
studied and learned the hard way do need to share the know-how and
encourage those living on the edge who can take help and help themselves.
Along with the purpose of this list, I do believe the only answers are in
community. It may come down to share the know-how now or share the food
later. To me this is more realistic self defense (or enlightened self
interest) than digging bunkers and making your own bullets. Here I have
neighbors who still try to garden with tractor rows and bags of N-P-K,
bless 'em. Maybe the best we can do is simply demonstrate how easy and
cheap it is to do it differently and get more and better food out of it.
Like, write off a lot of things we can't do and just do what we can.