livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] snakes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] snakes
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:53:13 +0000

I don't like snakes ....kill everyone I see, but I do not have rats either.
In my opinion, snakes are worse than rats.!

Barbara

. . . I have only seen one or two black snakes which I
dispatached quickly. They get in the chicken house and will eat baby chicks
and eggs too.

Barbara

The further along I go in this experiment in homesteading (aka "my life"), the more convinced I am that any strategy to deal with homestead problems based on killing *anything* is misguided. More and more, I see the key to success as the encouragement of maximum *diversity* of all possible forms of life where I live, not defining certain segments as The Enemy and driving myself crazy trying to drive them to extinction.

It seems plain silly to kill snakes such as black snakes, which overall have more benefit to contribute than threat. And yes, I have lost chicks (ducklings, actually) to black snakes. However, I took the occasion as a challenge to figure out management changes that would resolve the problem, not as a provocation to war.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." ~Wendell Berry