livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] No-till cotton

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Alan Whitaker <alan@dunbrokeus.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] No-till cotton
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 18:00:50 -0500

Ken,

I'm using no-till mulched permanent beds for vegetables. I'm convinced that is he way to go. But what is suggested for root crops?
We grow a lot of sweet potatoes here and I mulch the bottoms heavy with straw and it suppresses the weeds. But when we go to dig, it all gets turned under...........

Ken Hargesheimer wrote:

Anyone who wants to see no-till cotton just come to Lubbock TX. One farmer has been at it almost 25 years now. Another one started four seasons ago and could not be happier. I know these men personally. Steve Groff, PA, [spoke at his farm day] who has been no-till corn, etc for over 30 years. The guru of no-till in the USA.