livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Maggots for poultry feed

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Maggots for poultry feed
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:00:34 +0000

Aliza
who is looking in to making one of those maggot buckets for feeding broilers
this late summer."

Right on, Aliza! The info on the subject on my website at the moment is minimal, but I will be writing an article on producing more of the homestead's poultry feed for the next issue of Backyard Poultry. I could post the section updating the maggot-breeding experiment, though, as soon as the article is finished.

Last year was the experimental trial run. This year the system is really cranking: I have 5 buckets going most of the time. A buddy of mine who is a trapper supplies me with "primary ingredient"--I honestly have lost count of the number of 30-35 pound beavers that have already been cycled thru the buckets already this fly season. That's a *lot* of free protein. And, after working out the kinks last year, odor has been minimal, "processing" time amazingly fast.

More later.

~Harvey
--
Harvey in northern Va