livingontheland - [Livingontheland] corn seed saving progress and ?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] corn seed saving progress and ?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 06:45:38 -0700 (PDT)

My garden is really joyous right now, a riot of color with zinnias, sunflowers, gourds, pumpkins, burgundy okra, herbs, and much more.  It's great to just stand there and watch the butterflies.

I thought I'd quickly give an update on the three sisters project.  I never got around to ordering the seed saving bags for the corn, but I've begun picking the hopi blue, shucked it, and am drying it on the cob.

Some of the ears have some kernels that are orange and yellow striped, a few ears have a few yellow kernels, but most the corn is a very pretty deep blue while some is a blueish-gray, and some is more of a purple blue.

1.  Is this normal for Hopi blue to have the variations of blue?

2.  Should I just keep the odd colors out when I combine the kernels, mix them up and take out some for re-planting or will the whole batch grow out with different colors next season?

Some of the zuchini I planted amongst this corn has done well and is going strong now, the beans did OK, but I don't think I"ll plant this way again just because it's too hard to find the beans amongst the corn.   It's much easier to find and pick the green beans when they're on their own trellis AND I even have good eyes <G> !

hooked on agriculture,
Carrie