livingontheland - [Livingontheland] how best to do it?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] how best to do it?
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:02:35 -0600

Various cover crop seeds are carried by feed stores everywhere. Here's one
I just saw online http://cooperseeds.com/organics.php3?cat=Cover%20Crops .

What's puzzling to me at this point is how best to use amendments like bone
meal, fish meal, etc since I have a quantity picked up at Rowlands' going
out of business sale in Abq. Mixed in compost for spreading on the soil
surface to sprout cover crops? Or double digging in this summer heat? Like
some others here I'm no "spring chicken" ;-) And does it take too long to
build the soil if you just do the surface compost thing and grow rye,
vetch, and buckwheat to start with? I'm not alone on this. Some of us have
to make the best of what we have, time, money, and energy. I get incredible
tasting Italian tomatoes, chard, etc. but I have to do better at a broad
range of produce if I'm going to spend the money to fence out the critters.
This year is so dry rabbits are eating things they never touch. People have
elk tearing down fences and dining on their small trees.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net