livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Compost, a type of humified organic matter

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Steve Diver <steved@ipa.net>
  • To: c1fenner@comcast.net
  • Cc: 'Healthy soil and sustainable growing' <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Compost, a type of humified organic matter
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 23:18:40 -0500

The Organic Matter expressed on a typical soil test
is percent OM on a dry weight basis. So if you are living
in the South it might say 1-2% OM, while if you live
in a more northernly location such as Pennsylvania it
might say 3-5%.

The Humus Value test is a relative value between 0 to
100. There is no percent. It is a number that is
equated with degree of colored solution resulting from
a sodium hydroxide extraction, which further correlates
to degree of organic matter humification. The LaMotte
STH Soil Test Kit includes the colorimetric humus
screening test.

My paper on Luebke compost explains it in greater detail.

Controlled Microbial Composting and Humus Management: Luebke Compost
by Steve Diver, Fayetteville, Arkansas
http://www.ibiblio.org/steved/Luebke/Luebke-compost2.html

When you use all of the tests together, the humus value indicator
is very useful and insightful.
Hope this helps make it clearer,

Steve Diver

Catherine Fenner wrote:

Thank you so much for posting this. Now I feel like I'm cooking with gas.

Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. What I think
you're saying in the quote below is that there are two tests; one for what
percentage of organic matter is in the soil and the second is the percentage
of humus?

Somehow I think I'm not quite getting this.

Catherine