livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Compost, a type of humified organic matter

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Compost, a type of humified organic matter
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:37:19 -0600

A point that needed to be made, humus and humification is a natural process
and Nature has always done it. Not rocket science. Yes, crop rotations,
green manuring, cover cropping, mulching - these have been practiced - and
promoted somewhat - by the experts for decades, esp since the Dust Bowl
days.

But applying these proven techniques to the home and market garden hasn't.
And best practices are going to be mandatory in the new Victory Gardens we
need everywhere.

We've lost millions of the small family farms since the '30s. We're now
two or three generations away from those millions of people who knew enough
about growing their own. We got educated so we wouldn't have to work in
the fields.

So we know more today; we can do better. But - and here's the problem - if
we wait till groceries (and lots of other stuff like fuel for our whole
transportation infrastructure) are unaffordable then it's too late to start
learning how. Can you say "learning curve"??? One more major natural
disaster, war, or oil & gas disruption, and a lot of folks will wish they
started years ago. Or got out of the high-rise and got some dirt under
their nails.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net