livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] No-till and green manure?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] No-till and green manure?
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 05:01:59 -0600

Much of the benefit of cover crops are in the year round cover, the root
mass, nitrogen fixation by legumes, and if you want, cutting and composting
in windrows. It's said that the moldboard plow is the fastest way to
oxidize existing humus and waste nitrogen from legumes by exposure to
surface air. You might check the system used by Steve Groff at
http://www.cedarmeadowfarm.com/ .

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net