livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] No-till and green manure?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] No-till and green manure?
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:08:18 -0400

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:01:38 +1000 (EST), you wrote:

>If I want to avoid tilling my soil because of various structures and
>organisms I'd be killing, what do I do with my green manure crops (eg.
>alfalfa, vetch) which are usually tilled under for best effect?

Make compost out of them. Or you could sheet compost them;
just cut them and let them lay.

John Jeavons and the folks at Ecology Action have done a
great deal of research on compost crops (green manure
crops), in the interests of growing one's food sustainably.

They sell some very interesting and informative booklets
about this - I have a couple of the booklets and I think
they are well worth the price.

You can read about them (or buy them) here:

http://www.bountifulgardens.org/shop/gb-research-papers.html

Pat
--
Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Eat local food, change the world for the better!